Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Pool pump motors are the device found at the dry end of the pump that can collect electrical energy and turn it to mechanical energy one. The essence of the motor is to power the impeller that transfers the pool water to the pump. But what is the best pool pump motor to buy? Because the right pump will save you a lot of money and optimum performance.
Pool Pump Motor reviews: 8 Top-rated Models
The under-listed products are 8 best-selling pool pump motors on the market in 2020.
1. A.O. Smith B2853 1 HP, 3450 RPM Single Speed Pump Motor
The Century A.O Smith swimming pool motor is a single speed motor with an invariable divisible capacitor to enhance the running adaptability.
This device is equipped with an automatic ball bearing and overload guard for adequate protection to provide continued and long-lasting performance. It features a threaded shaft, which enables comfortable and direct mounting.
The Century pool pump motor comes with horsepower ratings ranging from 1/2HP up to 3HP. This model is available in full or up-rated categories that offer durable, reliable, and outstanding performance.
- Features permanent split capacitor for high-efficiency
- Comes with ball bearing protector
- Has 56Y frame
- Compatible with in-ground swimming pools
- Threaded shaft enhances direct mounting
- The capacitor has some defects
2. Century Electric UST1152 Replacement Motor 1 1/2-Horsepower with Up-Rated Round Flange
Pool siphons keep water circling through channels, warmers, skimmers, and water highlights. Water dissemination is the most straightforward approach to advance spotless and relishing swimming conditions.
The A.O. Smith one and a half horsepower and round flange replacement engine for pool siphons feature a threaded shaft and is compatible with most pumps that need a circular flange engine.
- Comes with a corrosion-proof exterior shell
- Available in round flange design
- Easy wiring access
- Features high-quality replacement motor
- Performs on both 115 and 230-Volts
- The motor protector seal is sold separately
3. SP1610Z1MBK Motor Replacement for Select Hayward Pump Maxrate Motor
This Hayward SP1610Z1MBK Motor is engineered to be used with Hayward NorthStar pump; its main objective is to ensure you have itch-free and relaxing pool experience, and that is the reason this model works perfectly to keep your pool tidy and clear.
This product is a heavy-duty one, which operates quietly without making an annoying noise. The featured ergonomic swing-away hand lever is for easy strainer lid removal and faster basket cleaning process. Before buying this motor, ensure that it suits your needs by entering your unit number.
- Operates without noise
- The featured strainer lid is easy to remove
- Provides hassle-free pool maintenance
- Suitable for keeping the pool clean
- It may not last for long
4. A.O. Smith B2852 Single-Speed with ODP Enclosure Square Flange Pool Motor
The Century Pool pump device is a single-phase motor with a perpetual split capacitor for improved running output. The motor is built with an auto over-burden protector and metal rollers, and the Century Pool pump engine gives durable usage.
The unit has a strung shaft that takes into account advantageous and direct mounting. The Century pool pump motor comes with horsepower ratings starting from 1/2HP up to 3HP. This model is available in full or up-rated categories that offer efficient, reliable, and exceptional performance.
- Features drip-resistant enclosure
- It is a single-speed motor with square flange
- Comes with a monumental split capacitor for the effective running
- Featured threaded shaft facilitate mounting
- This model is a bit pricey and cumbersome
5. Century USQ1102 1 HP, 3450 RPM, 1.25 Service Factor
This Century Smith A.O is a capacitor starting electric device and utilizes centrifugal impellers to power the pool pump. The A.O Smith one horsepower features a threaded shaft that suits most of the pumps that need square flange motors.
This model works on both 115 and 230 volts. Century USQ1102 supports Ultra-Flo pumps, Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II, Challenger, Max-E-Glas II, Hayward Max-Flo II pumps, Pentair Whisper-Flo. Every part of this model can be replaced and the capacitor is the most often replaced component. The motor bearing inside the motor is replaceable too.
- Uses impellers to power the pump
- Work with 115 and 230 voltages
- Comes with a threaded shaft
- Easy to install and add significant value for the money
- This unit has a very short lifespan
6. Century USQ1152 1-1/2 HP, 1.1 Service Factor, and ODP Enclosure
If you are a pool owner and genuinely need an ideal replacement for your crumbling or current pool pump motor. This Century A.O SQ1152 1-1/2HP motor is the best for use in residential or personal pools.
This model comes with high energy efficiency that prevents you from spending extravagantly on monthly electricity bills. The Century A.O SQ1152 is compatible with various motors.
This pool pump motor features 50° C ambient temperature and a well-molded 303 stainless steel threaded shaft. Another notable thing is the easy installation and an affordable price tag.
- Consumes minimal energy
- A perfect replacement for your dilapidated motor
- Works suitably with various pumps
- Comes with threaded stainless steel shaft
- The cooling fan can burn or melt if the motor overheats.
7. A.O. Smith SQ1102 1 HP, 3450 RPM, 1.65 Service Factor, ODP Enclosure
The A.O. SQ1102 is an advanced pool pump motor and is available in both 115 volts and 230 volts. This model is by far better than some of the expensive motors on the market.
This Century A.O. SQ1102 motor incredibly reduces energy consumption by moving the pool water more effectively at lower speeds. This model features an open drip-proof enclosure to prevent leaking.
The motor has an exceptionally quiet you to enjoy a smoother running period. Century SQ1102 comes with a 50-degree C ambient, a threaded shaft, and round mounting.
- Available in keyed and threaded shaft
- Works best for residential swimming pools
- Compatible with PHPF 1.0 and SP3010EEAZ
- Utilizes lower energy to operate
- Doesn’t come with locking screw for the impeller
8. Century B2853 Square Flange Pool Pump Motor AO Smith Electric Motor
This Century B2853 is a single compartment pool pump motor with a perpetual split capacitor that is an ideal replacement for almost all swimming pools and spa pumps. This must be the same or above your service factor and HP for perfect and befitting replacement.
The featured auto thermal guard helps to safeguard the engine from being hurt by overheating. It has ball bearings and open drip-proof enclosure design to inhibit leaking. This motor is UL recognized and professionally certified by CSA.
- Feature automatic thermal protector against overheating
- Open drip-proof enclosure
- Ambient temperature of 50-degree C
- Made of durable motor flange aluminum materials
- It makes a terrible noise when the bearing is faulty
If you are thinking of changing your pool pump motor or are first-time buyers, the under-listed points are some of the critical features to consider before you make your ultimate decision:
Thermal Overload Protector
Adequate ventilation is crucial. A pump motor needs proper cleaning, continuously circulating air. Motors are usually heated at high temperatures. Therefore, we recommend that you look for thermal overload protection if your motor does not contain one.
A pump that is excessively huge for your pool will compel a lot of water through a small filtration system that is exceptionally compact, bringing about strain and opposition that will cause the pump motor to wear out and malfunction quickly than expected. It is consistently a smart thought to operate the pump at the most minimal stream rate expected to disperse your pool’s water within 8 hours.
If you have replaced your motor in the past, you should opt for a pump with Go-kit because that includes lubricants and gaskets, O-rings, shaft seals. There is a symbiotic relationship between the motor and the pump. If one has defects, the other one will also be affected, and if one is functioning well, the second one will also work well.
The square is the most popular frame type in the category of a pool pump motor. The square flange will be affixed to it and not the pump. There are mounting holes found at the corners of the flange called 56Y and 48Y frames. Some motors with 48Y frames are thru-style. Ensure that the square flange is attached to the motor and not on the part of the pump. If you’re not sure, detach the motor from the pump.
A threaded shaft means the motor’s face will cling to the pump’s body, and the impeller is strung onto the motor shaft. These are known to be 56J frames. Also, the impeller can be tightened with a screw that is threaded into the shaft center. But if the exterior part of the shaft is unthreaded, that means it is a keyed frame and not threaded one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much is a pool pump motor?
If the product you purchase is still under a given timeframe, then you can replace the whole pump. However, motor replacement is not expensive compared to changing the entire pool pump. An easy to install cost around $25 to $200, and if you want to hire an expert to do the installation, it will attract an extra $40 to $100.
Q: How long does a pool pump motor last?
Adequately swimming pool pump motors should function for at least eight to ten years before there will be a need for replacement or rebuilding.
Q: What size pool pump motor do I need?
The size of the motor to buy for your pool pump depends significantly on the size of your spa and pool pump and how many hours you need to run the motor daily.
Q: How to clean pool pump motor?
- First, turn off the engine because it is dangerous to clean your motor while it is running
- Disconnect your motor and from the pump before you begin the cleaning process.
- Ensure you have all the necessary tools available such as a screw, wrench, lubricants, and brush
- Unscrew the cover with a screw
- Remove the all debris that might have found their way into the motor
- Lubricate the motor with brush
- Allow it to stay for like 30 minutes
- Reassemble it back to its normal state and reconnect to the pump
When you are changing your pump motor, it is vital to know which motor works perfectly for your pool. However, it may be burdensome to find the best rated pool pump motors that will serve you for years. Properly maintained motor can function for 8-10 years with incredible service. But, the poor condition can lead to its failure after one year. This article contains all the essential information you need to choose the best motor.